Sid and I have taken our first steps to making our business more sustainable. The “Green Tourism Business Scheme” (GTBS) offers help and guidelines to tourism businesses on how to make their operations more sustainable. These “green” changes long term will help save resources and energy which will enable us to continue to offer affordable rates and the comforts we all enjoy.
- Efficient use of water and energy. For example solar panels for hot water, thematic controlled radiators, insulated walls and roof. ‘A’ rated white goods. Energy saving light bulbs and low flush toilets.
- We have a bio mass boiler providing out central heating, using sustainable wood pellets as fuel.
- We encourage guest to engage with their environment by providing lots of local information. We have public transport close by and bike hire information and information of walks from the door.
- We recycle and reuse as much as possible, and buy products with the least amount of packaging. We recycle all paper, card, glass, plastic, metal, and hope to get a green cone to compost all organic matter.
- We buy from local food producers for our breakfasts so as to reduce its carbon foot print.